Spicy barley soup

I came to my sister's house yesterday and was unfortunately thrown into a house filled with fever, chills, coughing, and runny noses. Yes my friends, winter is arriving upon us very quickly. To ease the cold symptons of the whole family we decided that a hearty soup for dinner would be the wisest choice for a meal. This recipe is actually part of my sister's Mincavi diet program, which I don't think she actually practices regularly. I'm in no way advocating diets but this soup is good enough to add to your recipe book because I, Amal, can't deprive myself of anything fatty, meaty, salty, and/or sweet but this soup is deeee-licous.



What you'll need:
2 cups of diced carrots
2 celery, diced
1 onion, diced
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup of pearl barley
2 tsp of paprika
1 tsp of cumin
1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp of thyme
1 Laurier leaf
Pepper to taste
6 cups of low-fat chicken broth ( obviously you can use the fatty broth)
2 tbs of fresh coriander
In a casserole heat the olive oil. Add the carrots, celery, onion and salt, and cook covered for 10minutes over medium heat. Make sure to check on your vegetables regularly. Add all the remaining ingredients, except for the coriander. Bring to a boil and let simmer over low heat for an hour. Sprinkle the coriander right before serving.
Bon appétit!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...